Paris, 2 September 2014 – ArcelorMittal, the world's leading steel and mining company, has announced 700 new jobs will be created at its French sites in 2014. ArcelorMittal is the largest steel company in France, with a workforce of nearly 20,000 over some 50 industrial and distribution sites.
These new, permanent jobs cover a wide range of roles and activities within the company, and are in addition to the 600 staff that ArcelorMittal recruited in France in 2013, most notably at its Dunkirk, Mardyck, Montataire and Desvres sites in northern France.
This recruitment drive confirms the central role that France plays in the group's strategy and industrial approach at both European and global levels. ArcelorMittal designs and manufactures highly advanced steels in France; France has become the group's leading production centre for steel used in the automotive sector (Usibor® and iCARe®) as well as the leading production centre for steel for the energy sector. The company’s largest global R&D centre is located in Maizières, France.
The group has invested more than €2bn since 2006 in the production of high-quality steels in France. The group continues to make regular investments at all its sites. ArcelorMittal Florange, which employs 2,200 people, has already benefited from €105m of investment, of a total of €180m to be invested by 2017. The group has also announced investment of €92m for the complete renovation of one of its blast furnaces in Dunkirk as well as investment of €90m to develop the production of electrical steels at the Saint-Chély d’Apcher site in Lozère.
ArcelorMittal in France
* 2013 figures
- Sales of approximately €10bn
- Produces 11 million tonnes of liquid steel *, including 35% of ArcelorMittal's flat steel production in Europe and 40% of the global production of packaging steel
- Around 50 industrial sites
- 70% of steel industry jobs
- Nearly 20,000 employees
- Nearly 60,000 indirect jobs
- A training centre for the steel industry professions in Lorraine
- The largest steel industry research centre in the world at Maizières-lès-Metz
- A distribution network offering the widest range of products and services in the French market
- Leading French production in many markets
Back to news