On October 12, Paramjit Kahlon, CEO of ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih, and Volodymyr Groysman, Prime Minister of Ukraine officially opened the pulverized coal injection system at ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih’s blast furnace #9. ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine’s largest mining and steelmaking company, has invested about $60 million in the system, which is one of seven projects making up an extensive investment programme there.
Paramjit Kahlon, CEO, ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih said, “We are implementing an investment programme worth US $1.2 – 1.5 billion at ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih by 2020-2021. As the country’s largest investor, we hope Ukraine will continue to encourage foreign investment and support businesses like ours. The resource efficient technology in this new pulverized coal injection system will enhance our productivity, decrease operating costs and reduce the amount of natural gas and coke used at Blast Furnace #9.”
Construction of pulverized coal injection complex at Blast Furnace #9 began in 2014 and included:
- construction of pulverized coal injection unit;
- construction of the coal storage unit;
- installation of two mills with a total production capacity of 83 t of pulverized coal per hour;
- construction of ventilation systems;
- construction of engineering and energy supply systems.
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih’s investment programme covers the company’s key strategic activities: Health and Safety, production and environment, effective usage of energy resources and new technologies. The main goals of the programme are to preserve volumes of production in tough market conditions; to increase productivity; and to reduce our environmental impact in Kryvyi Rih.
ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih’s 2020 investment programme will:
- revamp the BOF shop and build new GCPs at BOFs 4-6;
- refurbish coke batteries #5 and #6;
- refurbish blast furnaces #6 and #9 and make intermediate repairs to BF #7 and #8;
- refurbish sinter plants #1 and #2;
- Build a pulverized coal injection system at Blast Furnace #9;
- Build another continuous casting machine and ladle furnace;
- refurbish light-section mill 250-4.
Back to news