As a group, we’re committed to innovation. Mining is no exception: it’s an area where the latest techniques and technologies can have significant impacts on how our assets perform. Our R&D teams are on a constant quest to improve the efficiency, productivity and environmental performance of our mining operations.
Mining innovation at ArcelorMittal covers four key areas: understanding our products, improving processes, enhancing sustainability, and applying the latest digitisation and industry 4.0 technologies. And as both a steelmaker and mining company, we’re uniquely positioned to develop specific solutions, such as how best to apply high-strength steels in the mining industry.
We develop solutions for our individual operating units rather than taking a standardised approach. This way, we can focus on what’s most effective for a particular asset, and then adapt it across the business where appropriate.
Examples of the technological solutions we develop include:
- Automation, drones and remote operating centres
- Digitisation – improving production, supply chain processes and mine planning system designs
- Mathematical models focused on improving productivity and time management
- 3D-printed spare parts
- Robust wireless sensors, for example, heat sensors and laser scanners, to improve reliability and predictive maintenance
- Rail and infrastructure design and monitoring
- Energy efficiency and water treatment
- Pushing the boundaries with processing methodologies for yield