R&D investment: As a core strength of our business, we invest over $250m each year in research and development. Our team of 1300 experts work in 12 different centres across the world to develop new steel solutions to enable more sustainable infrastructure and lifestyles. With a passion for innovation, a keen understanding of our customer expectations, and an eye on long term trends, our researchers pursue both continuous improvement to drive cost, energy, water and material efficiencies, and breakthrough technologies to transform the way we make steel.
Innovation: Both the products we launch to our customers, and the processes that lie behind their manufacture, are the outcome of many years of innovation. Our global R&D team focuses on the following areas:
- Breakthrough low-emissions steelmaking technologies to address Climate Change.
- Digitalisation, using big data, analytics and robotics to drive efficiencies across every aspect of the business, from maintenance to safety, defect recognition and quality assurance to 3D printing.
- Automotive innovation, with a focus on electric vehicle solutions design.
- Breakthrough construction solutions, housed in our Steligence® division.
- Product sustainability data underpinning our global R&D programme, through use of our Sustainability Innovation tool, lifecycle assessments and environmental product declarations.